At the Airport
At the airport, the possibilities with American are endless, they are the heart of our business.
Every day will be a unique adventure from serving our customers around the world to standing on the tarmac beside one of our widebody aircraft. You’ll feel the buzz of the engine and witness the swift takeoff and landing of our planes. Feel free to immerse yourself in the excitement of travel where no moment is ever the same.
Join our global family of 130,000 team members, as caring for customers is where your journey at American begins.
Perks and Benefits
One of the many benefits you’ll enjoy during a career with American Airlines is the travel privileges that let you, your family and your friends explore new destinations across the globe. Watch the video to learn how some of our team members use their travel perks to experience destinations both near and far.
Tarmac delay contingency plan – U.S. airports
Every American Airlines, Envoy, PSA and Piedmont team has a comprehensive contingency plan to respond to lengthy onboard ground (tarmac) delays at U.S. airports.
- Ensures we’ll have adequate resources available to meet your needs
- Names a control person to coordinate local teams and communicate with central operations centers
At each U.S. airport we serve, plans are coordinated with:
- Local airport authorities
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- U.S. Customs
- Border Protection at each U.S. airport regularly used for international flights
We also have plans for all airports we regularly serve (including our designated diversion airports) to make reasonable efforts to share facilities and gates with other carriers in an emergency and during irregular operations such as extreme weather. Gates would be made available in accordance with established operational priorities (i.e. medical emergencies, maintenance concerns) and local gate compatibility constraints. If a gate is not available and deplaning is necessary, other equipment such as air stairs will be made available to deplane passengers.
Unless otherwise noted, marketed international and / or codeshare flights (AA flight number operated by another carrier) follow their own tarmac delay contingency plan. This contingency plan is explicitly separate from and not a part of these carriers’ contract of carriage.
Passenger services during a lengthy tarmac delay
For all flights experiencing a lengthy ground delay at a U.S. airport, American Airlines, Envoy, PSA and Piedmont will:
- Provide passengers with adequate food and potable water no later than two hours after the aircraft leaves the gate (in the case of departure) or touches down (in the case of arrival) if the aircraft remains on the tarmac, unless the pilot-in-command determines that safety or security considerations preclude such service.
- Ensure that operable lavatory facilities will remain available while the aircraft remains on the tarmac.
- Ensure adequate medical attention is available, if needed, while the aircraft remains on the tarmac.
- Ensure a comfortable cabin temperature is maintained.
- Ensure passengers on the delayed flight will receive a notification regarding the status of the delay when the delay exceeds 30 minutes.
- Notify passengers on a delayed flight each time there is an opportunity to deplane from an aircraft if the opportunity to deplane actually exists.
At American Airlines, Envoy, PSA and Piedmont, the safety and comfort of our customers is always an important priority, especially during flight delays. We are confident our contingency plans will lessen your inconvenience.
|Customer Service Agent||Charlotte, NC, US|
|Customer Assistance Representative Part Time||Salt Lake City, UT, US|
|Analyst/Senior Analyst, Contact Center – Continuous Improvement||Ft Worth, TX, US|
|Premium Customer Service Representative Part Time||Charlotte, NC, US|
|Customer Service Agent Part Time||Charlotte, NC, US|
|Staff Assistant I, Airport Station||Boston, MA, US|
|Staff Assistant I, Airport Hub/Gateway||New York City, NY, US|
|Customer Service Manager, Airport Customer Care||New York City, NY, US|
|Fleet Service Agent||Reno, NV, US|
|Customer Service Manager, Airport Customer Care||Los Angeles, CA, US|
|Customer Service Manager, Airport Customer Care||Phoenix, AZ, US|
|Staff Assistant I, Airport Hub/Gateway||Los Angeles, CA, US|
|Representative, Premium Guest Services – Mexico MEX||Mexico City, CMX, MX|
|Agent, Reservations – United Kingdom LPL||Liverpool, LIV, GB|